Youth Leadership Institute (YLI)
All 2021 YLI applicants will be notified of their admission decision on TUESDAY, MAY 11, 2021, 5:00 PM Pacific Time, via email.
YLI is a free, five-day, college empowerment program for high achieving Latino high school juniors held at two top universities across the US (Due to COVID-19, YLI 2021 will be held virtually). This highly selective program is designed to give young leaders the practical tools they need to successfully apply to top universities, have full access to scholarship and financial aid opportunities, and set a course for academic and career success. Attendees will enhance their leadership abilities and expand their professional networks by participating in college and career workshops, and interacting with college students and professionals who serve as their mentors.
You can find a video with highlights of the YLI program at the bottom of this page
2021 YLI Dates and Locations:
July 7 - July 11, 2021 - University of Chicago (Virtual)
July 21 - July 25, 2021 - University Southern California (Virtual)
- Current high school junior (Class of 2022)
- Must have an unweighted cumulative GPA above a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or above an 80 on a 100-point scale
- Identify as being from Hispanic heritage
- Currently attends high school in the United States or a U.S. territory
- Must be a US Citizen, Permanent Legal Resident, DACA or Eligible Non-Citizen (as defined by FAFSA)
- Plan to enroll full-time in a four-year degree program, at a US accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university after high school graduation
Application opens Monday, March 1, 2021. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 9, 2021, 5:00 PM PT.
How to Apply:
- Create a MyHSF Profile as a “Student”
- Select “YLI 2021 Student Application” on your Dashboard
YLI Volunteer Staff Opportunities
More information to come regarding opportunities to be a YLI mentor. Stay tuned!